Friday, November 04, 2005

Little-known rules of marathon novel-writing:

1. Never stop writing at the tidy conclusion of a scene, because you'll have really no motivation to move on to the next piece of action.

2. Never decide you're good on word count so you're just going to knit through lunch instead of write, because you will find yourself siezed by an idea at 3:06 p.m. and no time to write any of it down.

3. Don't let your characters smoke inside the novel, because the non-smokers start coughing and waving their hands all around and making a big scene about it which, frankly, is just upsetting to everyone and does nothing to further the word count.

PS, why do I feel like everyone's already reached 10k and I'm just treading water here?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if it makes you feel any better, i've done NaNo for 3 years and stalled out at 5,000 words every year.

this year, i didn't even start. :)

Aunt Murry said...

One step at a time....don't worry about the others just keep pluggin away!

quantumtea said...

I hit 10k because Hubby offered Godiva chocolate if I made it last night. It was about 700 words past my goal for the day but that was very motivating!

I recommend bribes as a way of reaching wordcount goals. There's a skein of wonderful sock yarn waiting if I make 50k