Thursday, July 27, 2006

Just about every day this week I've attempted to put together an outfit that capitalizes on the current belt/tunic with jeans* thing that's going on. I'm still not 100% convinced that enough time has passed for this since the Eighties, but what the heck. I'm willing to give it a shot.

The second-guessing happens at various stages. Sometimes the outfit doesn't make it out of the closet with me still wearing it. Most of the time I've managed to make it to the mirror before I head back into the closet for something less ridiculous. Once, I made it as far as the kitchen where I ran into Matilda scrounging in the pantry for cereal.

Matilda looked over at me, all bleary and incoherent, and then suddenly blinked and raised her eyebrows. "Mom?" she said warily. "What is with the belt?"

I had no defense. I headed back to the closet.

This morning, though, I was determined. Today was belted tunic day!

I threw on my tight jeans (well, yanked and grunted on would be more accurate, with lots of squatting and wiggling) and a longish, blue silk, tunic-type top. And I belted it. And I felt okay with that. Mirror check? Yes! I can do this. As long as I don't need to bend over in these jeans, this will totally work.

I went into the kitchen for some coffee. A few minutes later, Matilda wandered in and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw me.

I immediately went on the defensive. "What?" I insisted. "It's the belted tunic thing! You can look at any fashion magazine and they'll tell you. People are wearing belts over their tunics. I'm not making this up. It's in right now. It's cute and fun!"

Matilda said, "Okay... Mom? You're not fifteen."

"Well...! Well...!" I sputtered, "Neither are you!"

She shrugged and shook her head at me as she walked past in search of breakfast.

"And I can drive!" I said.

So there. And now excuse me while I go change my clothes.

*Warning: Fashion is also trying to convince us that stretch pants are back. They are not. Please, please, for the love of Pete, listen to what your butt is telling you on this one because butts do not lie. Fashion lies. Butts don't.

No comments: