To be honest, I have never considered myself a dog person. After all, dogs are stinky and noisy and demanding. But the picture of the dog I've always had in mind that I didn't want wasn't this dog.
Finnegan is smart and clean and gentle, and he thinks I'm a cool chica to hang out with. He sat by my feet last night while I balanced the checkbook, and he confided that he's actually quite good with spreadsheets and wouldn't mind reconfiguring our budget for me. I was tempted to take him up on it, but by then we decided it was time to run outside for some leaping Frisbee catches.
I am terrible at Frisbee. But Finnegan thinks that adds to my charm.
As husband and I were congratulating ourselves on bringing the World's Coolest Dog into our home and elevating ourselves to World's Coolest Parents status, we realized that with adoption fees, registration, vet visit, crate, food, leash, toys, etc… the set-up cost of Finnegan was well over $700.
Incidentally, $700 is the amount I recently decided to postpone spending on furniture for our living room because we couldn't afford it. And so, here are the top five reasons why Finnegan is better than a living room couch.
Top Five Reasons Why Finnegan is Better Than a Living Room Couch
1. While both have mastered "sit" and "stay," we're convinced that the couch would never "roll over" without assistance.
2. Both may swallow coins, but only Finnegan will return them in the end.
3. A couch does not wake me up at 6 a.m. and remind me to exercise. In fact, a couch encourages me to remain sedentary.
4. If spaghetti falls on the kitchen floor, a couch wants no part of cleaning it up.
5. No couch has ever gazed at me with big puppy eyes to tell me it thinks I'm a cool chica.