I know a lot of people enjoyed their high school career, but I really did not. I was nerdy, chubby, and socially backward. I spent most of it engaging in compensatory behaviors and hence dodging referrals to the counselor's office. I can't even tell you how glad I was to get away from the set of mean, snide, privileged, self-satisfied brats with whom I shared way too much personal space five days a week.
Not that work doesn't have its moments, but for the most part...
Top ten reasons why my job is way better than high school
- When someone passes you in a narrow hallway while you're carrying an armload of papers, you don't have to worry that the other person is going to smack them down.
- When another female tells you she likes your hair today, she's probably not being sarcastic.
- You can eat lunch all by yourself if you feel like it.
- You don't have to bring a note from your mother in order to get out of any physical activity.
- Teams and partners are assigned.
- There are no motherfucking pep rallies.
- I have a picture of Legolas on my wall, and people are still willing to be seen with me.
- There are no loud bells, buzzers, alarms, broadcast announcements, or public prayers.
- I no longer have to remember a locker combination.
- If you feel something brush the back of your head during a meeting, it's probably not a spitball.
Hooray for being grown up (mostly).