Thursday, September 14, 2006

Do you ever wonder about the narrative your grocery cart tells? Yesterday I found myself standing in the checkout line with three gigantic packages of triple-roll toilet paper, frozen egg rolls, diaper wipes, and beer.

"I'm going to get smashed while binging on prepackaged Chinese food that will ultimately cause me to crap myself to the extent that I might need soothing, moist intervention!" it seemed like I was broadcasting to my fellow Schnucks patrons.

This was the perfect follow-up to me being unintentionally pantsed by my overexcited preschooler in front of the entire parent pick-up lane. Her rubber sandal caught in the hem of my skirt as she rushed at me for a hug, and before I realized it my elastic waistband was hugging my knees.

It's amazing how long it actually seems to take to untangle yourself from a hug, put down a squirming child, and yank your skirt back into place when everyone's trying really hard not to notice what color drawers you're sporting.

4 comments:

Aunt Murry said...

At least you had on drawers.

Anonymous said...

skirts are for noobs.

lauramacf said...

It's been forever since I've been online and able to check out my blogs and such and I was feeling bitter about it, until I read this post. And I'm sorry. I laughed. Alot. Thank you. And once again, I'm sorry.

Kim said...

Hee-hee! I've felt the same way while at the store, buying those stick-on heating pads, tampons, and 4 GIANT hershey bars! Could I have been more obvious?