Friday, June 22, 2007

Bunny Ain't No Kind of Rider

Yesterday was a good ride, and I needed a good ride because lately I've been feeling plagued by fatigue. And when you're plagued by fatigue, the garden gets overgrown, mildew collects in the caulked edges of your bathtub, and the closets fill with dirty clothes. That's just the way it is.

I rode anyway, with my legs feeling like mud, because my drill sergeant husband made me. Something about training, and commitments, and blah blah blah. I loaded up my helmet, gloves, water bottles, etc, into the car and drove halfway to the trail before abruptly turning around and coming back home.

Yeah. I forgot my bike.

The first five miles felt miserable, but then it was like something shook itself loose and I was flying.

I was chased by a bird and almost ran over a ginormous black snake. Two angry cyclists fixing a tire glared at me from the side of the trail, though I'm not sure why. Did I look like the kind of girl who randomly tosses glass bottles into the path of oncoming riders? I chased and caught a guy on a road bike, and matched his speed for a few miles until he turned off and went home. I don't know what that speed was, because I also forgot my bike computer. But it felt speedy.

Then I went home and immediately ran three loads of laundry. Exercise is weird.

3 comments:

Henry said...

nice blog!

Devorah said...

Exercise is weird that way! We often force ourselves to get on the road just because we know the fatigue will vanish and be replaced with honest tiredness which somehow makes things better. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Grandmas Lye Soap is better than bleach for cleaning soiled white socks. This is not to be confused with the 1919 Chicago White Sox scandal