Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The idea of having Tigger and Piglet stuck inside your ears is good for a quick laugh at the doctor's office, but as an extended gag it really blows.

I asked Gert to pick up her toys, but she ignored me. "Gert, did you hear me?" I asked, doing my best Mom impersonation.

"My ears are not working," she said.

"That must be because you have Tigger and Piglet stuck in there," I said.

"That's what the doctor said," said Gert, amused but somewhat concerned.

"So now that we're engaged in an audible verbal exchange, how about picking up your toys?"

"Okay."

Later, I was making dinner (spaghetti and meatballs – and by the way, a friend recently gave me THE PERFECT meatball recipe. If you need it, let me know .) and Gert came and stood beside me, silently tugging on one ear.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Mom…? How am I going to get them out?"

"Huh?"

"Tigger and Piglet are really stuck waaaay in there. I can't reach them." She then tried to fit her hand into her ear canal, one finger at a time.

My grandma has a morbid mistrust of the medical profession, and I wonder if we're seeing the groundwork laid for that kind of thing right before our eyes.

5 comments:

Aunt Murry said...

This is where one must get creative. If you are so inclined you can tell her that you saw them sneak out while she was sleeping to return to the 100 acre wood. You could futher explain that they thanked you for the visit but they were home sick for Christopher Robin and Pooh.

If you would rather not lie to her, some people are touchy about this sort of thing, you could explain to her that the doctor was trying to make her feel at ease and Tigger and Piglet were never really there in the first place.

Your call. I personally like the first one. They grow up so fast as it is.

Have a good one!
Mary

Anonymous said...

SeeJane here! I'd like the meatball recipe, please!! Could you just post it here? Then we can all enjoy it.

Chris O'Brien said...

You're right, who am I to keep perfect meatballs to myself? It's so simple: Take a pound of ground turkey or your meat of choice, mix in a few cloves of garlic, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp sage, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Shape into balls and broil until the tops are brown. Then turn and continue broiling till done. Viola or something!

Chris O'Brien said...

I like your approach Mary... I actually checked in her ears with her toy doctor ear checker thingie and said, "Nope, they're already gone! They must have hopped out when we were leaving the doctor's office so they could climb in another kid's ears." Psycho parenting! It's so much fun.

Anonymous said...

SeeJane, again. Thank you for the recipe! I'm going to put it with my (smallish) stack of "faves."

p.s. My pede uses Big Bird for ear exams.